Sunday 17 May 2015

Marais – the Falafel and the Musée

With an appreciation for the Marais, I always find a reason to be in its vicinity. No longer living in Paris; I’m in that not-a-resident/not-a-tourist limbo. I know what there is to see; I’ve probably seen (or avoided) it, and I try my best to frequent the places I like on every trip. This doesn’t mean that I’ve seen everything in my favourite places and spaces though. So a trip to Paris for me is likely one of a few that year and mostly means that I’ll want to be somewhere in particular as opposed to seeing something in particular.
So on an early August trip I wanted to spend some time in the Marais. For dinner with a couple of friends I suggested L’As du Falafel; a place I’d heard about in the Jewish quarter. Although I’d heard it was affordable and popular, the experience there was refreshing if a bit surprising. It was packed and we were lucky to get a table. The summer ambiance added to the convivial atmosphere; when you feel you’ve made innumerable friends from a shared moment in time that you’ll never see again.
Completely staffed by handsome Jewish men, L’As du Falafel was a delightful first as restaurant experiences go. The service was extremely practical, no dessert in order to deliver tasty falafel posthaste and ensure that as many patrons as possible got their time at table. Quirky in its way and amazingly good falafel.      

Later on in the evening, we found ourselves walking back through the dimly lit Parisian streets. At this time in Paris, I always have the odd feeling of being let loose in the city of my dreams. And just like in a weird dream, I saw the ethereal figure of stone. “I think it’s the Musée Carnavalet”, I said out loud. In that light, on a stumbled upon path I wasn’t sure...
I’m still not sure, which gives me a great reason to go back and continue discovering one of my favourite neighbourhoods. 



No comments:

Post a Comment